Mar 28, 2009

Reagan Rendezvous

We finally did it. We quickly got ready this morning and took off for Simi Valley to visit the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library. I was totally excited out of my mind. I'm such a nerd. But really, I love American history and cool museums. Add those together with a fantastic president, and you're in for a good time.

We even got a bonus- they had the temporary Magna Carta exhibit complete with the real deal written in Latin on sheepskin, and it was the Annual Colonial American Experience-the place was swarming with folks in tights, buckled shoes, red coats, and three pointed hats. My fav was when all the kids came marching through the museum dressed head to toe playing their piccolos and drums.
I didn't know that they actually let you go inside the Air Force One,
totally awesome.
I really learned a lot about President Reagan and what a good person he was. It was so incredible to see his diaries and his sincere and private thoughts in writing. He was a man who loved his country, his family, and God.

I was really touched with the Berlin Wall portion. While staying with a close family friend in East Germany, he told us his story about living behind the Iron Curtain- just accepting that you will never be able to see the world and that you may never reach your full potential. When the wall came down, his life was changed forever, and I can really appreciated Reagan's efforts to make this happen.
It was interesting to see this colorful side of the wall, and then the untouched Soviet side
"I know in my heart that man is good, that what is right will always triumph, and there is purpose and worth to each and every life."
He is quite the legend.

2 comments:

  1. Lucky you! Jolie was born the day Reagan was buried & we seriously considered somehow incorporating his name...

    Need to go there before we move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way cool!! I definitely will make Daniel take me there t some point. I'm glad you guys had fun.

    ReplyDelete