as if yesterday's mishap wasn't bad enough...
So I arrived to school this morning and found that things were much, much worse. It seems that as I was cleaning up the hood from the spill last night I must have accidentally tightened a waste bottle lid that had unreacted acid inside still. That acid reacted, evolved gas and the whole 4 Liter glass bottle of corrosive death exploded in the hood. There was acid everywhere and the expensive "shatterproof" fume hood sash is destroyed.
We had to call the emergency hazmat people and my boss and so many others. O the shame.
Possibly the worst part is now our brand new fancy lab has a nasty acid burn on the floor that looks like our fume hood pee'd itself. Wonderful for introducing perspective students into the group. O the shame.