Mar 5, 2013

Food for Thought

Starting down the "food" path led me to lots of documentaries and non-fiction books (would you call me crazy if I told you how much I have come to love non-fiction books? Not just about food, but anything...I just feel like I learn so much!)  I've really enjoyed it. Not everything is to be agreed with, of course, but there is so much to learn and consider. I was increasingly realizing how much I didn't know about the world of food. I don't want to try and persuade anyone of anything, I have just discovered the value of becoming aware, and making decisions based off of a greater pool of knowledge and ideas. Food is such a complex subject, but at the same time not- at least I don't think it should be.

Here are two books that I read:

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
I thought this book took a seemingly boring subject and made it incredibly charming and really enjoyable. I'm sure part of the reason I liked it so much is because I've long dreamed of a simple life filled with delicious food and a huge garden. It gave me a lot to think about, especially in terms of eating locally. And Barbara Kingsolver is a great author anyway. 

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan
I loved how informative this book felt. He really went to great lengths to dive into the various food worlds. It especially caused me to consider the ramifications of how we choose to eat, and a better awareness of where food is coming from. I would still like to read his other book, In Defense of Food (which I think is kind of a follow-up to The Omnivore's Dilemma)


2 comments:

  1. I have been eyeing the omnivore's dilemma for awhile, debating if it was worth the read. I just put a hold on it at the library after reading your post! Bob and I are trying to get healthy . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx for sharing such great information...........

    www.vishvabhraman.com

    ReplyDelete